- Discuss causes of childhood anxiety
- Analyze the need for positive medical and dental experiences for the population
- Discuss behaviors and personality traits of patients who have childhood anxiety
- List common and medications used to treat childhood anxiety and dental and medical contraindications
- Discuss communication techniques and calming strategies to have a successful appointment with your patient
Mental health has most definitely come front and center in society lately, but especially with these last two years of change and uncertainty. No one could be faulted for feeling a little extra strain and stress. However, a sometimes forgotten population that has taken the brunt of much of the stress is our children. Childhood mental illness is being diagnosed at an all-time high, which means we will be seeing these patients more in our offices. Dental hygienists have a unique opportunity to work with and help one on one in a sometimes stressful situation. Learning about these conditions, medications, special contraindications, and coping mechanicals will make the dental office a safe space for our tiniest patients.
CEU Credits: 1