Upon completion of the course the participant will:
- List the oral and non-oral symptoms reported by patients suffering from Xerostomia
- Discuss the causes of Xerostomia and understand the components and functions of saliva
- Explain the clinical signs of salivary gland hypo-function
- Discuss management options for educating patients and improving their quality of life
- Identify successful treatment options and products available
We know that Xerostomia is not a disease but it is often not discussed or masked by the next dry mouth product. However, xerostomia is a serious condition that is annoying and uncomfortable and usually caused by a disease or underlying condition. It affects your patient’s quality of life while speaking, eating or even trying to sleep. Hypo-salivation can damage the hard and soft tissues of the mouth while presenting a clinical challenge in the operatory! 25% of your patients suffer from this terrible affliction and age is not a cause of having a dry mouth. Xerostomia is more common in the older adult population but is not necessarily an inevitable part of aging. This course will turn you into a dry mouth superhero! You will be able to teach patients reasons why they suffer from dry mouth, intra-oral problems associated with it, and management options available to make your patients more comfortable managing their symptoms.