Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Exhibit increased confidence in their interactions with special needs patients.
- Identify barriers in access to care for patients with special needs .and implement strategies to improve patient and provider experience.
- Construct individualized treatment plans that consider cognitive, developmental, and or physical modifications to provide equitable and compassionate care.
- Recognize appropriate language and responses when communicating with patients, families and caregivers. What you should and shouldn't say or do. The R word is never acceptable and shame is not the game!
- Review and apply successful strategies for improving oral health outcomes at home and in the operatory.
Have you ever felt nervous or uncomfortable while treating patients with special needs? Do you think you don't have the right experience or training? Are you ready to improve your capacity to treat "Special" patients? These patients are just like any other patient but may require adaptations to care. This course is designed to elevate your understanding of special needs patients and what it takes to have a positive experience while providing care. Participants will come away with increased confidence in their ability to provide thorough, equitable, and effective treatment while working with special needs patients. This course is invaluable to dental providers and staff wishing to improve the oral health outcomes of patients with special needs through intentional treatment planning and compassionate care.
Attendees will benefit from the unique perspectives of three dental hygienists who not only care for but LOVE a family member with special needs.